Caregiver in Tustin CA
Caring for an elderly parent or family member does not mean you have to stop fulfilling your own needs. Yet, this is exactly what happens with a majority of family caregivers. Most people are so consumed with making sure their loved one has everything they need and is getting the care they require, these people often forget to take care of themselves. This will quickly lead to caregiver burnout or depression if you do not find a way to balance your own personal life and the responsibilities expected of you as a caregiver. Here are just a few ways to ensure your needs are also being met.
- Take a time-out. Even if you only have an extra five minutes each day, use this time to unwind and relax. Read a book, listen to music, or do something else that will help you stay calm in the amount of time you have to spare.
- Reconnect with a friend. Socializing with an old friend or family member is a great way to boost your mood and feel rejuvenated. It will also give you the chance to vent about any frustrations you have as a caregiver.
- Write it down. If there is something that is bothering you, write it down in a journal. Sometimes seeing it in writing will help you see a solution more clearly.
- Use respite care. Respite care brings a professional caregiver in to take your place while you get a break. This caregiver can take over for however long you need this “mini vacation” for.
- Join a support group. If you are feeling alone in your caregiving role with no one to talk to who understands what you are going through, join a support group. These members are also caregivers and can share their own tips and stories to help you with any situations you have. Plus, you may even make a new friend or two.
- Take care of yourself. No matter how busy you get, your health should be at the top of your priority list. Exercise regularly, eat a healthy and well-balanced diet, and try to get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night in order to feel your best each day.
Being a caregiver can be extremely rewarding, as well as a frustrating experience. With these tips, you will finally be able to take some time for yourself.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregiver services in Tustin, CA, please contact the caring staff at Canaan Home Care today! 1-844-CANAAN-1 (1-844-226-2261)