As a family caregiver you know how important an aggressive germ control approach is to protect your aging parent’s, and your, health and well-being as they age in place. While this might make you think of tasks such as keeping their home clean and avoiding contact with ill people, it is important to keep in mind that the most impactful step that you can take in protecting your aging parent, and yourself, from germs is simply maintaining good hand hygiene.
May 5 is Hand Hygiene Day. This is the perfect opportunity for you to learn more about the importance of washing your hands and encouraging your elderly loved one to wash their hands regularly and how this one simple task can improve your care efforts for your senior as they age.
Some things that you should know about Hand Hygiene Day include:
• 71 percent of people say that they practice appropriate hand hygiene techniques daily
• The average person comes into contact with approximately 300 surfaces every 30 minutes throughout the day
• The average person comes into contact with 840,000 germs every 30 days
• More than 50 percent of people throughout the United States admit that they do not wash their hands after using public transportation
• Similarly, half of Americans say that they do not wash their hands after they handle money or use shared items such as exercise equipment
• Approximately 39 percent of people do not wash their hands after they blow their nose, cough, or sneeze
• 58 percent of people report that they have witnessed other people leave a public restroom without washing their hands
Starting senior care for your elderly loved one can be an exceptional way to help your aging parent achieve and maintain a higher quality of life as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your senior on a customized schedule that is right for their needs. This means that they will have access to the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that is right for their individual needs when they need it, while still allowing you to remain at the forefront of their care. The highly personalized set of services this senior care provider can give to your loved one will be tailored not just to their challenges and limitations, but also to their personality, beliefs, preferences, and goals. This enables them to live the lifestyle that their desire and deserve and stay safe, healthy, comfortable, and healthy, while also encouraging them to maintain as much independence, activity, and fulfillment as possible. A senior care provider can be extremely helpful in encouraging your loved one to maintain good hand hygiene to protect their health and well-being as they age in place. This can include helping your senior to understand the importance of keeping their hands clean, offering valuable reminders for them to wash before and after key tasks throughout the day, and utilizing alternative techniques to keep their hands clean and their body protected from germs, illness, and infection.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Newport Coast, CA, please contact the caring staff at Canaan Home Care today! 1-844-CANAAN-1 (1-844-226-2261)
- Follow These Four Steps and Create a Respite Plan - December 18, 2020
- End of the Year Holidays Can Cause Aging Veterans to Feel Lonely, but What About Home Care? - December 11, 2020
- Is Your Senior Battling Edema in Her Legs? - December 3, 2020