Senior Care in Laguna Beach CA
Keeping the home fresh and clean is an important part of helping your parent to stay healthy, comfortable, and happy throughout their later years. Challenges and limitations, however, can make it much more difficult for your parent to handle these cleaning tasks as they get older. Encouraging them to use some of the cleaning innovations that have come out in recent years can simplify these tasks so that your parent feels empowered to take on as much themselves as possible while still staying safe and healthy.
Some of the cleaning innovations that can help keep your parent’s home clean and fresh include:
- Laundry pods. Measuring out laundry detergent can be a challenge for an elderly adult who suffers from weakness, balance problems, or lack of range of motion. They could injure their joints trying to lift the heavy bottles, or could lose their balance and fall. Many people also use far more detergent than they actually need, wasting a tremendous amount of money. Laundry pods put the exact amount of detergent necessary for a load of laundry in a convenient individual package. All your parent has to do is toss the pod into the washer.
- Shower spray. Getting mold and mildew off of the walls of the shower can be difficult, and leaving it there puts your parent at risk of illness. Help them to prevent these frustrating growths from happening in the first place with shower spray. This product is designed to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, keeping the shower cleaner and fresher between deep cleanings, and making these deep cleanings less strenuous.
- Cleaning “slime”. It might look like a toy or a Halloween decoration, but cleaning slime is actually a highly efficient cleaning product. This material flows like a liquid, but maintains shape like a solid. Place it on a keyboard or in the nooks and crannies of furniture and leave it in place for a few seconds to allow it to flow into these small spaces. Once it has adapted to the shape, peel the slime up, removing dirt, dust, and debris with it. You can purchase this item, or you can make your own using school glue, borax, and water.
- Toilet gel. It may not be the tasks that anyone looks forward to when cleaning the home, but cleaning the toilet bowl is something that everyone needs to do to keep the home fresh, comfortable, and healthy. Toilet gel makes it easy to handle this task consistently but without the deep cleaning work. Simply deposit a small amount of the gel on the side of a clean bowl. It will work each time the toilet is flushed to keep the bowl clean.
- Floor scrubbing pads. Your aging parent might have once been the type of person to get on their hands and knees to scrub the floor until it shined, but now that they are older this is likely no longer an option. Floor scrubbing pads attach to the end of a device much like a stick mop and feature different textures on the pre-moistened pad to make scrubbing up spills and even dried-on issues fast and easy. When finished, your parent simply takes off the pad and throws it away. This eliminates potentially challenging cleaning steps such as filling, moving, and emptying a mop bucket, wringing a mop, or rinsing.
One of the most beneficial services that senior care can offer your aging parent is assistance with basic housekeeping needs. This care provider can help your parent by taking on some light housekeeping such as tidying and simple cleaning, but can also promote greater independence and confidence by modifying tasks so that your parent can handle more of their own daily needs themselves. This boosts their mental and emotional health and encourages them to maintain a higher quality of life as your parent ages in place.